Saturday, November 29, 2008

coming on strong



Over halfway there in this five-week endurance test.

The mustache looks like a mustache, I've raised $1,235 (thank you to those who have donated already!), and I'm unrecognizable at first glance by some colleagues and friends who have walked right by me and my fancy new face.

But I have a lot more to go. I'm still well over $1,000 short of my fundraising goal for the Think College Now elementary school. These struggling kids need books, and this means I need to work harder: grow the stache with more focus and determination, and remind friends to donate with more perseverance and shamelessness.

At this critical point in my effort, I'm reminded of the legendary runner Steve Prefontaine. Pre was a middle distance man for the University of Oregon in the 1970s, and the holder of almost every State record in Oregon high school history. He was shorter and smaller than the other runners and often the underdog, but believed it was a runner's guts, not physical ability that set them apart. He ran like his life depended on it. He also had an amazing mustache.

Pre's right, it's a guts game at this point. Dig deep and grow as if I can't fail.

Asking you to dig deep too! Please contribute and help the kids from Oakland so they can have these books and curriculum for next semester. I assure you it's the best money spent toward helping others over the holiday season.
Help us down the home stretch...

No comments: